They portray such convincing characters in the movies that we sometimes forget these brilliant actors, in many ways, are just like us when the cameras stop rolling. It’s truly remarkable to see these photos of them enjoying a break from the characters they play. See for yourself!
1. The Dark Knight
Heath Ledger practices for the final scene of the movie when he’s hanging from the skyscraper. It looks a bit different than you may remember.
2. The Joker without his recognizable makeup.
3. Heath Ledger skate boarding over Christian Bale.
4. The Empire Strikes Back
Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew show that Princess Leia and Chewbacca are actually BFFs.
5. Chewbacca getting a bit frisky during one of the funnier outtakes.
6. Kermit and Piggy visit Mark Hamill and Yoda on the Dagobah set.
7. The Shining
Lisa Burns and Louise Burns look far less creepy between their haunting stints in hallways.
8. Stanley Kubrick taking a mirror selfie with his daughter, while Jack Nicholson thought it was a photo of him.
9. Stanley Kubrick laughing in the remains of Elstree Studios, the set of The Shining, which was destroyed during a fire.
11. The Muppet Movie
Jim Henson and Kermit staring deeply into each other’s eyes.
12. Edward Scissorhands
Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder hugging it out between takes.
14. This proves once and for all that the wooden board did have enough room for Jack.
15. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Peter Ostrum and Gene Wilder switch looks for a moment.
16. Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal Lecter enjoying a fry between shots.
17. Kill Bill
Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu stop fighting long enough to show they’re actually great friends.
Director Steven Spielberg giving E.T. a bath on the set of the film.
19. Django Unchained
Leo taking a break from the director’s point of view.
20. Return of the Jedi
Carrie Fisher and Warick Davis (Ewok Wicket) on the set of Return of the Jedi!
21. Fantastic Mr. Fox
Bill Murray literally “on the set”.
22. Forrest Gump
Scene 1, Take 1.
23. Filming of the MGM Lion
24. Star Wars
R2D2 having a sandwich during a filming break.
25. Irvin Kershner consults the screenplay on the carbon-freezing chamber steps.
26. The Big Lebowski
Director Joel Coen checking in on The Dude during the trippy dream sequence.
27. The Wizard of Oz
The amazing set of Munchkinland.
Even Frankenstein’s monster needed to find time for a cup of tea and a quick snack!
29. Raging Bull
De Niro gets some help with a slate clap on Raging Bull.
30. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
George Lucas and Amrish Puri take a break under an umbrella.
31. Star Wars – Special Edition
Boba Fett unmasked on the set of the additional Jabba’s Palace scenes filmed for the Star Wars special editions.
32. Back To The Future
The DeLorean, which was much smaller than most of us remembered.
33. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Rupert Grint, Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Rickman, Mike Newell prove that Harry and Snape actually can get along.
34. Enemies become friends when the camera isn’t rolling, as Voldemort and Dumbledore share a laugh.
35. The Avengers
Director Joss Whedon showing the heroes how it’s done.
Godzilla (albeit only his lower half) terrorizes a poor Japanese town.
37. JURASSIC PARK III
John Rosengrant, an effects artist for the movie, wears a raptor half-suit for Jurassic Park III.
38. Lord of the Rings
Gandalf, along with his stunt and riding doubles.
39. The Lord of the Rings Triology
Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen) keeping dry between takes.
Steven Spielberg bravely lounges in the mouth of the shark.
41. Marie Antoinette
Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman use some technology that definitely doesn’t mix with their outfits.
A group of extras look pretty relaxed for having just fallen victim to battle.
43. Pulp Fiction
John Travolta and Bruce Willis laugh about something between scenes.
Ellen Page and Leonardo DiCaprio on the set of Inception. It’s not surprise it looks a lot different than the movie.
45. Singin’ in the Rain
46. The Royal Tenenbaums
Bill Murray, Grant Rosenmeyer, Jonah Meyerson roughhouse in the hospital.
47. Harry Potter
Maggie Smith relaxing between scenes that were actually deleted from the final cuts. Incredibly, she participated in the filming while going through chemotherapy.
Director Zack Snyder looking small as he goes over lines with Leonidas.
49. Life of Pi
Suraj Sharma acts out his scene in a zoomed out look of what most of the movie’s filming looked like.