This is exactly the list we all need when we’re having a rough day. This was inspired by a Reddit post asking everyone to share the happiest fact in the world they know.
The list grew so quickly because many people know a lot of happiest facts about people and the world we live in. The result is a long list of fun and happy facts that are sure to cheer everyone up. Here are the 30 of our favorite happiest facts in the world:
1. When you were born, you were, for a moment, the youngest person on earth.
2. Sea otters hold hands when they sleep to keep from drifting apart.
3. The elements that we are composed of were formed in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are all made of star dust.
4. Cows have best friends.
5. A prison in Washington pairs up “death row” shelter cats with select inmates as part of a rehabilitation program. It seems to be a pretty wonderful thing for both the inmates and the cats.
6. Blind people smile like everyone else, even though they’ve never seen anyone else smile. It’s just a natural human expression.
7. Turtles can breathe through their butts.
8. Squirrels plant thousands of new trees each year simply by forgetting where they put their acorns.
9. Macaques in Japan use coins to buy vending machine snacks.
10. A BBC News program broadcast in 1957 ended claiming that spaghetti grew on trees on a farm in Switzerland. Many viewers believed the report and called the BBC asking how to grow their own spaghetti trees. Their response: “Place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best.”
11. Norway once knighted a penguin.
12. In China, killing a Panda is punishable by death.
13. Rats laugh when tickled.
14. The voices of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse got married in real life.
15. Sweden has a rabbit show jumping competition called Kaninhoppning.
16. Gentoo penguins propose to their lifemates with a pebble.
17. Dolphins have names for each other.
18. Kissing burns 2 calories a minute. Undressing burns 8.
19. Puffins mate for life. They make their homes on cliff sides and even leave some separate room for their toilet.
20. The Kingdom of Bhutan uses “Gross National Happiness” as an important national measurement.
21. When playing with female puppies, male puppies will often let them win, even if they have a physical advantage.
22. Pigs’ orgasms last for 30 minutes.
23. A study measuring the effects of music found that cows produce more milk when listening to soothing music. They produce the most when listening to R.E.M’s “Everybody Hurts.”
24. There’s a program that makes prison inmates responsible for training and raising seeing-eye dogs. Many reported that they felt like they were making amends for their past actions by working with the puppies.
25. Google, the periodic table, the structure of our DNA, and “Yesterday” by the Beatles are all ideas that were conceived in dreams.
26. There’s a superhero with a hearing aid called ‘Blue Ear’. He was created by Marvel Comics to encourage a little boy to wear his own!
27. Good news is more likely to be shared through social media than bad news.
28. The last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernan, promised his daughter he’d write her initials on the moon. He did, and her initials, “TDC,” will probably be on the moon for tens of thousands of years.
29. If you fake laugh long enough, you’ll actually start to laugh really hard.
Jason Merritt / Getty Images
30. A chemical called oxytocin is released when people cuddle, helping to heal physical wounds.
Chrissy Wainwright/Creative Commons
31. Alexander Graham Bell originally wanted people to greet each other on the phone by saying “Ahoy!” instead of “Hello!”
32. A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana.
33. Butterflies use their feet to taste.
Dave Govoni/Creative Commons
34. Some window washers at children’s hospitals surprise the kids by dressing up like superheroes.
Brandon Dill / AP; Cherie Diez / AP; Brandon Dill / AP
35. This baby who just discovers bubbles for the first time.
I most definitely needed this. It’s a sure remedy to all the negative things going on today in the world. How about you? What other happy facts do you know?