Okay, you might know a few of them, but there are more than a few of these interesting facts below you probably don’t know. For instance, I just found out that starfish can be terrifying (how did that thing caught a fish?), or holy cow, ligers are real?!
Anyway, this list will hopefully teach you a thing or two. It may not make you smarter, but, hey, it will amuse you and that’s got to count for something, right? So hope you enjoy this one!
1. Sharks kill 12 people per year. People kill 11,417 sharks per hour.
2. This is how snow is cleared off train tracks in Alaska.
3. Testing the safety of a double decker bus.
4. This is how sperm whales sleep.
5. After getting struck by lightning, you can be left with this weird tattoo pattern. It’s called a “Lichtenberg figure.”
6. More people are living inside this circle than outside of it.
7. This is how Google does “street view” in the Arctic.
8. This is what Jupiter would look like if it’s as close to our planet as the Moon is.
9. Unloading wood chips from trucks.
10. The first alligator with a prosthetic tail.
11. This is how a Catholic and Protestant couple were buried since neither could be buried in the other Church’s graveyard.
12. This is what Mt. Rushmore was supposed to look like.
13. Starfish eating an anchovy.
14. This is what 20 minutes of fireworks being set off at once looks like.
15. The inside of an Amazon warehouse.
16. This is what Barbie would look like with normal proportions.
17. This is what it looks like when kayaking through ice.
18. The largest living cat in the world, weighing 922 pounds. It’s actually a liger named Hercules.
19. Finland and North Korea are separated by one country.
20. Several tons of manure being dumped in front of the French parliament.
21. Norway once knighted a penguin.
22. After decades of nuclear testing, a desert in Nevada now looks like this.
23. The heart of a blue whale is so big, you can swim through its arteries.
24. Betty White is older than sliced bread.
Alberto E. Rodriguez / Getty Images for TV Land
25. This is what a road clearing looks like after huge snowfalls.
26. A walrus sleeping on a submarine.
27. Charlie Chaplin’s remains were once stolen and held for ransom.
28. In case you don’t know, this is how pineapples grow.
29. This is what an eclipse on Earth looks like from space
30. There’s enough iron in your body to make a 2-inch nail.
31. Honey never spoils. You can eat 32,000-year-old honey.
32. Elephants can die from a broken heart, especially when they’re young and separated from their social group.
33. This is what sand looks like under a microscope.
Dr. Gary Greenberg / sandgrains.com