American newspaper editor Arthur Brisbane once coined the phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words.” This simple notion applies to various aspects of our lives, but most especially to our rich history.
Here’s another interesting collection of photos that many of you may not have seen before:
1. First selfie, ca. 1920
2. A utility worker giving mouth-to-mouth to a co-worker after he contacted a high voltage wire in 1967.
3. This soldier stood alone, refusing to join the Nazi salute in 1936.
4. This Austrian boy got a new pair of shoes in World War II.
5. A random but poignant soldier in Vietnam, 1965.
6. Animals used to be involved in medical therapy as early as 1956.
7. Nikola Tesla sitting in his laboratory with his “Magnifying Transmitter.”
8. A Catholic woman and her protestant husband laid to rest in Holland, 1888.
9. Christmas dinner during Great Depression: turnips and cabbage
10. Einstein at Nassau Point, Long Island, New York in the summer of 1939.
11. Woman with a gas-resistant pram, England, 1938
12. Charlie Chaplin at age 27, 1916
13. Hindenburg Disaster, May 6, 1937
14. Hippo pulling a cart, 1924
15. Advertisement for Atabrine, anti-malaria drug, in Papua, New Guinea during WWII
16. Soldier shares a banana with a goat during the battle of Saipan, ca. 1944
17. Baby cages used to ensure that children get enough sunlight and fresh air when living in an apartment building, ca. 1937
18. A grotto in an iceberg seen during the British Antarctic Expedition, January 5, 1911.
19. Bookstore in London ruined by an air raid, 1940
20. Walter Yeo, one of the first to undergo an advanced plastic surgery and a skin transplant, 1917
21. Suntan vending machine, 1949
22. Measuring bathing suits – if they were too short, women would be fined, 1920s
23. Hotel owner pouring acid in the pool while black people swim in it, ca. 1964
24. Lifeguard on the coast, 1920s
25. Mom and son watching the mushroom cloud after an atomic test, Las Vegas, 1953
26. Mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948
27. Hitler’s officers and cadets celebrating Christmas, 1941
28. The real Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin, ca. 1927
29. Last prisoners of Alcatraz leaving, 1963
30. Melted and damaged mannequins after a fire at Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London, 1930
31. A space chimp posing to camera after a successful mission to space, 1961
32. Illegal alcohol being poured out during Prohibition, Detroit, 1929
33. Little girl with her doll sitting in the ruins of her bombed home, London, 1940
34. Painting the Eiffel Tower, 1932.