Some smokers hold their cigarette between thumb and index figure. Others enjoy it holding between index and middle finger. Still others have unique preferable ways of holding a cigarette. According to Cigarette Psychology in the 1950s, different cigarettes’ holding styles reveal about the personality traits of a person.
The way a man holds his cigarette is a sure sign of his inner self. This is from an article from a 1959 issue of Caper Magazine showing Dr. William Neutro’s analysis of personality.
Dr. Neutro has found out about men’s personality traits through his study. However, he concluded that the cigarette psychology doesn’t work on women. According to Dr. Neutro, women are so affected naturally in their regular posture that they’re more often than not too conscious of how they hold a cigarette, and therefore useless as subjects for this experiment.
1. Just a guess for this female mannerism: insecure, afraid to lose that cigarette. She probably holds on to her man like glue.
2. Typical grasp of a female bored with her date. She has to concentrate on the tip to keep from yawning.
3. Dr. Neutra claims this man is an intellectual, a very brainy type of guy, a contemplative character.
4. This person is generally unreliable, weak, hard to live with, and inclined to excessive lying.
5. Very tense individual, direct, straight-forward, inclined towards stubbornness.
6. A hail fellow, well-met character who enjoys high living. Sort of the Texas millionaire type.
7. This guy’s obviously daring, calculating, literally likes to “play with fire.”
8. A dreamer, always off on a tangent.
9. Very pessimistic, excessive in business caution.