Helpful Air Filter Maintenance Tips and Reminders
Learning how to disinfect or simply clean your home’s air filters is a vital aspect of your maintenance schedule.
How you approach this step plays a huge role in determining whether your filtering system is working efficiently.
It is important to remember that air filters should be cleaned or replaced on a regular basis.
Moreover, frequent maintenance is needed if you’re living in an environment full of dust or pet hair.
One simple way to know whether an air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced is to remove it from its normal position.
As soon as you’ve removed it, hold the filter close to clear light. If you can see the light coming through, it can still be used a little longer.
But if there is no light coming through at all, clean the filter or replace it.
Here are some useful tips and reminders:
• First, some air filters are uniquely designed to be cleaned, while others are disposable and should be replaced.
However, if you’re not sure of the type of air filter you have, then a quick internet search for the brand will give you an idea; however, it’s reasonable to assume that cardboard frame filters are not created to be recycled.
• Second, disposable filters are particularly created for one-time use and are cheaper than washable filters.
The frame is made of cardboard that doesn’t stand up to the cleaning process. Trying to clean a disposable filter can induce fiber matting, allowing mold and mildew to develop, and drastically reduce the performance of the air filter.
• Third, washable filters, on the other hand, have metal or plastic frames that are more eco-efficient but require more effort when it comes to cleaning.
When you buy a filter, it’s essential to consider what sort of filter you need, based on your home’s location.
As mentioned earlier, frequent maintenance is a must, especially if your living space is prone or susceptible to dust or pet hair.
• Fourth, when the filter frame is dusty or appears gritty, mix a hot water solution with a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
Soak a sponge or soft-bristled brush into the water and use the solution to clean the filter. Rinse it thoroughly to clear the soapy residue. Make sure to dry the filter before inserting it back.
• Fifth, there are different types of filter levels. Your nearest hardware shop or home repair shop should be able to help you find the perfect one that complements your needs.
Furthermore, it is crucial to know that the areas in your home that have concerns with allergens or emissions also need higher quality MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) filters.
However, your home will benefit most from having balanced MERV rating filters.
Air filters are incredibly useful when it comes to keeping fresh air inside your home and preventing unwanted airborne issues.
While a number of high-quality air filters are available for purchase, you should learn more about the various filter types and determine which one is a good fit for your budget and needs.
If you own a washable filter, then it is recommended you perform regular maintenance checks.
Moreover, it is equally important to know if your air filters need to be replaced.
This is critical, especially if you are extremely sensitive to allergens and other air contaminants.